When patients experience a significant amount of weight loss – usually 100 pounds or more – their transformations can be incredible. A new body type can mean freedom to pursue activities that were previously impossible, mobility and the opportunity to move about freely without restrictions, and an entirely new lifestyle. However, despite the large amount of weight loss, oftentimes patients are left with one major complaint that will not respond to their new diet and exercise routine: excess skin.
When the skin has been stretched out over a period of many years, it can lose its elasticity and become unable to “snap back” into shape after weight loss. This leaves patients with areas of loose, hanging skin that can make them feel like their transformation journey has been a failure. Fortunately, board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Erick Sanchez is an expert in Baton Rouge, LA after weight loss surgery. With a variety of procedures at his disposal, Dr. Sanchez and the professional team at Sanchez Plastic Surgery can help you with the final piece of the puzzle in your weight loss and transformation journey.
What Is After Weight Loss Surgery?
Often combining multiple procedures for men and women in Baton Rouge, LA, after weight loss surgery is a custom plan of action tailored to each patient’s individual needs and goals. Board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Erick Sanchez will work with you to evaluate your situation, answer all of your questions, and recommend a treatment plan that will work best for you. It is important to remember that after weight loss surgery is not a tool for additional weight loss, but rather it is an effective way to address issues that result from significant weight loss and are unresponsive to diet and exercise.
What Are Some Procedures Included In After Weight Loss Surgery?
By far, the most common complaint from patients seeking after weight loss surgery in Baton Rouge, LA, is excess skin. In addition to sagging and stretched out skin, many patients have areas of stubborn fat that have not responded to their weight loss regimen the way that the rest of their body has. Some of the procedures that can be used in these circumstances include:
- Upper Body Lift: a combination of multiple contouring procedures, such as a breast lift, arm lift and liposuction, that address and correct sagging, loose, and excess skin in the upper body. Common areas treated include love handles on the upper back, flabby skin on the underside of the arms, deflated breasts, and pockets of fat located on the upper abdomen.
- Lower Body Lift: a tightening surgical treatment also known as a belt lipectomy, that addresses the abdomen, buttocks, hips, and thighs. Common procedures as part of a lower body lift include a tummy tuck, thigh lift, butt lift or fat transfer, and liposuction.
- Thigh Lift: a procedure designed to remove excess skin and fat from the inner and outer upper thighs.
- Arm Lift: a surgery that is often combined with liposuction to tighten and contour the upper arms.
- Tummy Tuck: a procedure that can correct a pooch or pouch in the abdomen due to the separation of muscles, as well as be used to remove extra skin following weight loss.
- Liposuction: this surgical removal of fat can be used on weight loss patients in Baton Rouge, LA that have stubborn fat pockets after significant weight loss.
Will I Have Scars?
The degree of scarring and the visibility of the scars can vary from patient to patient depending on the specific case and which procedures are ultimately performed. Board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Sanchez takes great pride in his level of skill and experience in strategically placing incisions in a way that will minimize the visibility of scars as much as possible. It is important to have realistic expectations for the outcome of your surgery and understand that there will be visible scars, but the caring team at Sanchez Plastic Surgery will help minimize the level of scarring during the procedure as well as guide you through the cosmetic options for correcting scars after your recovery.
Am I A Candidate For After Weight Loss Surgery?
Because after weight loss surgery in Baton Rouge, LA is a custom-tailored combination of procedures designed to specifically meet your individual needs and goals, most patients find that they are good candidates for their treatment plan. As with any surgical procedure, it is important that patients are in good health, are non-smokers, and have no contraindications to the surgery.
For after weight loss surgery in particular, it is imperative that patients have achieved their goal weight, within about 10 pounds, and have maintained it for at least six months. While the removal of excess skin is technically permanent, a significant amount of weight gain following the surgery can result in stretching of the remaining skin, and subsequent surgeries can be difficult – or even impossible – due to the scar tissue that is present from the original procedure.
The best way to find out if you are a candidate for after weight loss surgery is to have a knowledgeable and experienced plastic surgeon in Baton Rouge, LA, like board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Sanchez, evaluate you.
What Is The Next Step?
If you think after weight loss surgery may be right for you, a consultation with Dr. Erick Sanchez at Sanchez Plastic Surgery in Baton Rouge, LA is the best place to start. Dr. Sanchez and his team offer the highest level of patient care and treatment and will take the time to thoroughly evaluate your case, discuss what you hope to achieve through surgery, and recommend an appropriate course of action. Call our office today to schedule your consultation, and begin the final phase of your transformation to a new you.