A tummy tuck procedure, also called abdominoplasty, is a cosmetic surgery to improve the shape and tone of the abdomen. There are several reasons why patients consider this surgery, which can provide dramatic results. It is one of the most popular aesthetic procedures performed throughout the United States and is an effective way for patients to achieve a more sculpted, toned stomach area. However, when patients are considering this cosmetic procedure, it is not uncommon for plastic surgeons to be asked, "How many sizes in clothing can I go down with a tummy tuck?"
Board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Erick Sanchez of Sanchez Plastic Surgery in Baton Rouge, LA works closely with abdominoplasty patients, from the pre-surgery appointment to post-surgery follow-up. Before undergoing a tummy tuck, there are questions patients need to consider to be well-informed before the procedure. Read on to learn more about how this body sculpting surgery works and what you can expect with the outcome.
What does a tummy tuck do?
Tummy tuck and body contouring help by removing excess skin and fat from the abdominal area. Patients should have a general idea of their expectations before surgery and will have a better understanding of their procedure during the initial consultation. Knowing beforehand what the procedure does and the desired aesthetic outcome will only enhance the dialogue between the patient and the plastic surgeon. Some key aspects to consider are:
- What is the main concern with your abdominal area?
- Did you lose weight and have excess skin?
- Have you had multiple pregnancies or one and simply want your pre-pregnancy stomach back?
- Do you have stretch marks you would like to eliminate or make less noticeable?
- Are you in good shape but desire a tummy tuck to keep up with the aging process?
- What is your ultimate goal with this procedure?
How much weight do you lose with a tummy tuck?
Abdominoplasty is a popular cosmetic surgery that removes extra skin on the lower abdominal area, giving patients a flatter, tighter-looking stomach. However, it is not a substitution for weight reduction or maintaining a healthy lifestyle. It is designed to address cosmetic issues for patients who have exhausted all efforts of diet and exercise but are seeing minimal results.
On average, patients may lose between 5 – 10 pounds of skin and fat, depending on the type of tummy tuck technique needed. While some patients may drop a size or two in clothing after a tummy tuck, some may lose inches in their midsection. It is essential to understand this cosmetic procedure provides a more fit, flatter, and sculpted abdominal area. Baton Rouge patients experience a tremendous boost in their self-confidence after their abdominoplasty and are usually more motivated to continue a healthy diet and stay active to look even better.
Tummy tuck and body contouring options
Patients who have done all the work beforehand can push their midsection across the finish line with this body contouring procedure. With a few different surgical options, Dr. Sanchez will determine the right surgical method to address each patient's specific concerns regarding their abdominal area. Tummy tuck options are:
- A mini tummy tuck involves a smaller incision underneath the belly button for those that need minimal skin tightening.
- A full or traditional tummy tuck requires an incision that spans from hip to hip and can allow for the underlying abdominal muscles to be tightened if needed. The belly button can also be repositioned to allow for more natural-looking results.
- An extended tummy tuck requires a larger incision, reaching the lower back area beyond the hip bone. This is for patients that require significant excess skin or fat removal for an optimal outcome. The belly button will be relocated for more pleasing aesthetic results.
A patient's initial consultation with Dr. Sanchez will involve a thorough examination and discussion about their aesthetic goals. He will diagnose and determine the right surgical technique required to give each patient the best results.
The primary goal of abdominoplasty is not for weight loss purposes. It is for individuals who have maintained a healthy weight for six months or longer but are still struggling with loose skin and pockets of unwanted fat in their stomach area. It is a safe and effective cosmetic surgery to remove pesky bulges or loose, sagging skin so patients can have the abdominal area they desire.
Women and men who live in the Greater Baton Rouge, LA area wanting a slimmer, more fit-looking profile are invited to contact Sanchez Plastic Surgery. Schedule your one-on-one consultation with Dr. Erick Sanchez, and start your journey to having the body you really want.