Life after weight loss can be a great step toward becoming a healthier person. It can also leave men and women struggling to reshape their new bodies. After losing a significant amount of weight, the skin is, oftentimes, unable to "bounce back" and conform to a person's new shape. After weight loss surgery can provide the body contouring results patients are looking for. It can reduce the appearance of excess fat and loose skin, and even tone up certain troublesome spots with cosmetic help. Dr. Erick Sanchez is a board-certified plastic surgeon and a leading expert at helping individuals in the Baton Rouge, LA area complete their weight loss transformations. Many women and men struggle with excess skin limiting their mobility after losing a lot of weight, making them feel self-conscious about their appearance, and finding it difficult to enjoy their new bodies.
If loose, saggy skin is putting a damper on your life after losing a significant amount of weight, learn how after weight loss surgery, which can include body contouring procedures like a tummy tuck or arm lift, can provide valuable benefits to patients after significant weight loss and how Sanchez Plastic Surgery can help.
Reshaping the body after weight loss surgery
Patients in Baton Rouge, LA who reach their goal weight have achieved a significant accomplishment. However, after losing 100 pounds or more, individuals may notice loose skin left behind. When we gain weight, the skin must expand to accommodate the growth of additional fat cells. When the body loses weight, it loses fat, and the skin must contract to conform to a person's new body shape.
When our skin expands and contracts, it causes the connective fibers and elastin to break down, causing it to become deflated. Skin that has lost elasticity won't retract back to normal, so body contouring help can be one of the only options to eliminate sagging, extra skin. Common troublesome areas after losing weight are:
- Flabby skin under the chin or "turkey waddle"
- Deflated breasts with loss of volume and loose skin
- Pockets of stubborn fat and excess, loose skin in the abdomen
- Excess fat and hanging skin around the thighs, hips, or buttocks
- "Bat wings" or excess skin in the upper arms
Body contouring after weight loss benefits
During a private one-on-one consultation, Dr. Sanchez will listen to a patient's concerns, answer questions, and identify the best procedures for target areas. Since every patient is unique, the number and types of surgeries selected will vary from patient to patient. Dr. Sanchez will ensure that any skin tightening or fat removal will be addressed to give each patient the aesthetic and body contouring results they desire. Other benefits for patients considering body contouring help after weight loss are:
- More than one body contouring treatment may be combined to allow patients one day of surgical procedure and one recovery period. Since most patients who have lost a substantial amount of weight experience loose, excess skin in more than one area of the body, after weight loss surgery is a convenient option.
- Stubborn areas like the lower abdomen or upper arms can be contoured and sculpted with a tummy tuck and arm lift. In some cases, liposuction or more minimally invasive options, like BodyTite™, can be utilized in addition to body contouring surgery to provide optimal results.
- Body contouring surgery can significantly improve a patient's overall quality of life and make them more physically comfortable. Without excess skin, the body not only looks better but patients also feel better. Following after weight loss surgery, individuals can exercise more freely without experiencing pain, chafing, or pulling from excess weight or interference of loose skin.
- The results of body contouring procedures can include removing several inches of skin, providing dramatic results. It is also a long-term solution as long as patients maintain their ideal weight and continue to lead an active, healthy lifestyle.
What is body contouring, and how can it help?
Post-weight loss body contouring procedures can help Baton Rouge, LA men and women put the finishing touches on their bodies. It is the final step to assisting individuals in feeling better about how they look and eliminating the obstacles left behind after losing a significant amount of weight. An upper body lift can address the neck, arms, breasts, and upper back at the same time. A lower body lift can treat cosmetic issues on the hips, thighs, abdomen, and buttocks. The combination of contouring procedures can reveal a tighter, slimmer, more youthful appearance, so patients feel better about the skin they are in after weight loss. Patients can enjoy their new weight achievement and body for years to come after getting body contouring help from Dr. Sanchez.
If you have lost weight and need body contouring help, we invite you to contact board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Erick Sanchez at Sanchez Plastic Surgery in Baton Rouge, LA. Dr. Sanchez and his professional staff offer the highest quality of care to every patient. He will listen to your concerns and evaluate your case to determine the right course of action so you can start enjoying how you look after losing weight. We look forward to hearing from you.